To Our Members,
CUPE Local 79, which represents employees of the City of Toronto including our brothers and sisters at Ontario Works, launched a work-to-rule campaign today in response to the City's unwillingness to budge from major concessions at their bargaining table.
This is not a work stoppage but "will include workers being asked to show up and leave on time, and not do any extra work; to take all their breaks and uninterrupted lunches."
OPSEU Local 586 STANDS WITH CUPE Local 79
Some important messages to keep in mind:
- When our brothers and sisters in other unions undertake job action, you should never do, or even be asked to do work that falls under their job description
- You should not face unrealistic expectations about timelines (eg. for OW grants). If the work-to-rule impacts your ability to complete a task, we recommend you document what steps you have been able to complete and what steps are outstanding. If that does not resolve inquiries from your management regarding the delay, please speak to a steward in your unit.
- The fight for good jobs and better lives in Toronto is a fight to improve living and working conditions for all of us
- Your support could make a real difference. Here are some simple ways you can show that support:
- Follow CUPE 79 on Facebook and Twitter and share messages of support (for example, post the picture above!) with the tags #TO79 #betterlivesto #solidarity
- Attend the brown bag lunch event at City Hall on this Thursday 12:15 (click for more details)
- Join a huge group Torontonians in sending Mayor John Tory an email about the need for good jobs in Toronto
- When you speak to OW Workers (or any city worker) let them know you support them
And always remember, we are stronger TOGETHER.